Tuesday 30 September 2014

I will rejoice in the Lord



I attended a funeral on Friday for a minister who supported and encouraged me during my studies.  He worked overseas as a missionary, he worked for the national church, and also served in congregational minsitry.  I knew all of this about him, but what I didn’t know was about all of the personal tragedies that he faced in his life.  He never spoke of these things and in our conversations, he was always strong in his faith and positive in his outlook.  

This is one of the passages that was read at his funeral from Habakkuk 3:
Though the fig tree does not blossom, and no fruit is on the vines; though the produce of the olive fails, and the fields yield no food; though the flock is cut off from the fold, and there is no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the God of my salvation.  God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, and makes me tread upon the heights. (Hab. 3:17-18)  

I haven't read Habakkuk in a while and this passage really made me think about our attitudes when challenges come our way, both in life and as the Church.  Is it possible to rejoice even in the valleys of life?  The stories of the Bible tell us over and over (and over!) again that this is indeed the call of God's people, to rejoice in the bad times just as we do in the good times.  God is continuously with us and at work in us and as we move towards Thanksgiving, we need to remember to be thankful for God's presence with us. 

I think that it's time for me to re-read Habakkuk!  

Blessings, Emma. 

For I know that my Redeemer lives.  Job 19:25

No comments:

Post a Comment