Thursday 29 January 2015

Cloud of Witnesses



In my sermon this past Sunday, I mentioned one of my favorite passages from the New Testament which is from Hebrews 12:1-2 and it says this:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

We give thanks to God for putting people of faith in our lives who guide and nurture us in our relationship with God.  These people walk with us when we doubt.  They lift us up in prayer.  They encourage us to deepen our relationship with God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  When I wrote my sermon last week, I included some information about one of the people in my life who provided this support – my grandmother or Oma as we call her.  My Oma has been very sick and on Sunday morning, I decided not to talk about her because I was afraid that I would get emotional.  

It is with profound sadness that I announce that she has now gone to be with the Lord.  She was ill for only a few weeks and each night, she prayed to God to take her home and on Wednesday, God granted her request.  Even though we are sad, we know that she now dwells in the everlasting arms of the Lord.  

As a result of this loss, I will not be leading worship on Sunday February 1st as I will be traveling to Germany to be with my family and participate in her funeral service on Monday February 2nd.  I will be returning home on Wednesday February 4th.  

We welcome Ken Sheward to the pulpit on Sunday.  

Blessings, Emma.

No comments:

Post a Comment