Friday 1 November 2013

Resting in God


Today has been a day of rest for me, so my apologies for posting on the blog so late in the day! This day of rest included doing errands, having lunch with an old friend, and enjoying dinner with my family and church family. It may not sound restful to some of you, but it was for me! 
When we rest in God through prayer, it is very different kind of resting.  It brings peace and comfort because we lift up our cares to God. This can be scary because it involves trusting in God’s divine will for us. Our resting in God means that we have given up control of our lives to the creator of the universe. 

One of my favourite stories from the Old Testament about trusting God can be found in the book of Ruth. The story of Ruth and Naomi is not a happy one. These three women – Naomi and her 2 daughter-in-laws, Ruth and Orpah - were brought together by marriage and bound together by tragedy. When tragedy struck, it struck completely and harshly through the loss of their husbands and because of a famine in their land. In their patriarchal society, the loss of their husbands made them social outcasts. They went to the end of the line. They became nobodies. 

Naomi tried to send her daughter-in-laws away, but Ruth refused. She told her ‘wherever you go I will go and wherever you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. (Ruth 1:16) By staying with Naomi, Ruth was taking a huge risk.

But God was with them and provided for them. As a dutiful daughter of both of Naomi and God, Ruth found rest in God because of her ability to trust in Him.

Yours in Christ, Emma.

Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment