Monday 28 October 2013

Listening for God


“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.”  Mother Teresa
This quote from Mother Theresa is challenging because we like to be in control of our lives, don’t we? I, like many people, prefer to be in the driver’s seat when I am in a car and I think that all of us would much rather be in the driver’s seat of our lives rather than letting someone else be in control. By putting ourselves in the hands of God, we are in effect surrendering to him and therefore, we have to acknowledge and accept his divine will. This means not only giving up control of who drives the car, but also where the car is going! As hard as this is to do, it is actually quite liberating when you let yourself fall into God’s hands and listen for his voice in your heart. 

As I prepared in the fall of 2011 to resign from my full-time job in order to finish my studies at seminary, I was very nervous about the future would hold. As a woman with a family, this decision affected more than just me and I was worried. But God was in control and it was liberating to watch the Holy Spirit move through our lives! This time was certainly a humbling experience for me as God manifested himself in many ways throughout my journey towards ordination and I wish that I had been able to trust him sooner! 

Our ability (and inability) to surrender all to God has to do with trusting God and listening for him.  Sometimes that comes as a loud gong or a quiet whisper but however it comes, we need to be open to listening for the presence of the Spirit in our midst. Our conversations with God in prayer will help us build this trust so that we can listen with a willing heart.

Yours in Christ, Emma.

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment