Wednesday 23 October 2013

One of the most challenging verses of the Bible for me is Psalm 46:10a which says "Be still and know that I am God!" While I believe with all my heart, mind, and soul that God is God, it is the 'be still' part that I struggle with. I am always on the go and even when I am at home, I am hardly ever still. This is because of who I am and because of the society in which we live. Being busy is seen as a good thing. It is almost a status symbol these days - the busier I am, the more important I am. This is true in our personal and work lives and believe it or not - in our church lives too!

But we need to heed the advice of the Psalmist and listen for God in our midst. Being still and taking time in prayer to listen for God's movement in our lives and in the life of the church is crucial for us to do. In our prayer lives, this means taking time to pray when nothing else is going on and to listen for the Holy Spirit. Is this hard to do? Yes. Is it necessary? Absolutely! If we don't do this, how will be able to figure out what God has in store for us? 

Yours in Christ, Emma.

But those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment